|Title:||Forestry Aide, Full Time|
|Location:||FDL Resource Management|
|Supervisor:||Forestry Aide Supervisor|
|Closing Date:||August 3, 2021|
|Salary:||$14.00 - $19.00 per hour|
Under the supervision of the Forestry Crew Supervisor or his/her assistant, the forestry aide is a member of a fire crew responsible for initial attack on wildfires in addition forest development projects, mechanical fuel reduction, prescribed burning and other forestry projects.
- Performs initial attack duties on wildfires.
- Maintain equipment and supplies in a state of readiness for quick response to wildfires.
- As assigned, may operate power saws or brush saws during timber stand improvement operations, and/or fuel reduction projects.
- When properly trained may operate equipment such as bombardier, tracked skid steer, skidder, chipper, tractor and other equipment on wildfires, prescribed burns, fuel reduction projects, forest development projects and other forestry projects as directed.
- Assists in Forest development projects including but not limited to timber stand improvement, tree planting, seedling protection, seedling release and other forest development projects as assigned.
- Assist with light mechanical work to maintain vehicles, equipment and small gas engines.
- May assist the forestry staff in timber sale or forest development project preparation.
- Appropriate work attire is required.
- Must attend all mandatory department trainings.
- Ensures confidentiality of financial records and all records for employees, band members and/or clients.
- Displays a responsive and professional manner in promptly responding to all requests, complaints, and problems.
- Recognizes that each employee is a representative of the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and is responsible for demonstrating courtesy, respect, and sensitivity to the needs of all others, including visitors and co-workers.
- Represents the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and the department in a positive and professional manner in the community.
- Required to maintain proper attendance including reporting to work on time in accordance with applicable policies.
- Maintains a clean and organized work area.
- Due to changes and modifications in the job from time to time, employees are required to be flexible and assume other responsibilities assigned by management as deemed necessary.
- Ability to pass the physical fitness test (pack test) in order to be Nationally Qualified for firefighting.
- Lifting and carrying of items weighting over 50 pounds and shared lifting and carrying of heavier items, and similar strenuous activities requiring at least average agility and dexterity.
- Walking over uneven terrain, standing, running, bending, stooping, climbing, pushing and pulling for long periods of time.
- Moderate risks encountered in walking over rough terrain, and the loading, unloading and transportation of forestry equipment and machinery.
- Risks include smoke inhalation, fire entrapment, snake or insect bites and stings, exposure to excessive machinery noise, and falling and rolling material.
- Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, including work in adverse or extreme weather conditions.
- Knowledge of basic firefighting techniques through completion of the basic firefighters course (S130/190).
- Knowledge of power saw and brush saw operation and safety.
- Minimum age requirement of 18 years of age.
- Position requires on call availability.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing is required.
- Ability to work independently and establish priorities is required.
- Attention to detail and accuracy is required.
- Ability to establish professional and harmonious working relationships on all projects and with all parties involved.
- Subject to drug and alcohol testing in accordance with the Fond du Lac Reservation’s Personnel Policies.
- Subject to pre-employment and annual background checks.
- Travel is required.
This position is eligible for our comprehensive benefit plan, which includes medical, dental, retirement, optional life insurance, optional disability coverage and more. For detailed information please click here.
NATIVE AMERICAN PREFERENCE
PLEASE INCLUDE WITH APPLICATION YOUR CREDENTIALS AND RESUME
APPLY TO: Fond du Lac Human Resources
1720 Big Lake Road
Cloquet, MN 55720