|Title:||Operator/Foreman, Full Time|
|Location:||FDL Public Works|
|Supervisor:||Highway Department Manager|
|Closing Date:||September 27, 2023|
|Rate of Pay:||$24.00 to $32.00 per hour|
Under the direction of the Highway Department Manager performs a variety of duties to ensure project work is completed accurately and efficiently.
- Provides the day to day supervision at work sites as assigned.
- Transports equipment to assigned work sites.
- Operates heavy equipment (loaders, dozers, excavators, motor graders, etc.). Loads and unloads equipment using sound judgment in securing equipment.
- Performs all cuts and fills pertaining to the job.
- Performs all normal maintenance on equipment.
- Keeps equipment clean and operable.
- Performs road repairs such as black top sealer duties, which may include:
- Operate tamping machines or manually roll surfaces to compact earth fills, foundation forms, and finished road materials, according to grade specifications.
- Place strips of material such as asphalt, or place rolls of expansion-joint material on machines that automatically insert material.
- Set up and tear down equipment.
- Set up traffic control – signs, cones, etc.
- Operate machines to spread, smooth, level asphalt on roadbeds.
- Cut or break up pavement and drive guardrail posts.
- Inspect, clean, maintain, and repair equipment as needed. Reports any repairs needed to supervisor or repair shop.
- Set up forms and lay out guidelines for curbs, according to written specifications, using string, spray paint, and concrete/water mixes.
- Fill tanks, hoppers or machines with sealing paving materials.
- Install dies, cutters, and wire wheels to prep cracks in pavement.
- Light burners or start heating units of machines, and regulate temperatures and asphalt flow rates.
- Observe distribution of sealing material in order to adjust machine settings or material flow, adjust light spots as needed.
- Operate machines that clean or cut expansion joints in asphalt and that rout out cracks in pavement.
- Operating machine for painting and stripping parking spaces.
- Shovel blacktop as needed.
- Work with hand tools rakes, shovels, tape measure, hammer, brooms, squeegee, all other work related hand tools powered and non-powered, etc.
- Clean up work site.
- Performs snow removal duties as directed.
- Installs septic systems, which may include but not limited to:
- Operates back-hoe to dig trenches for installation of septic tanks and drain lines for sewage disposal system.
- Reads blueprints to determine location of septic tank and drainpipes.
- Operates back-hoe to dig and refill trenches for septic tanks and tile drainpipes, transfer crushed rock or gravel to provide drainage base for pipes.
- Lowers septic tank into excavation.
- Directs workers engaged in spreading crushed rock and gravel, in laying tile drainpipe, and in connecting drainpipes to branch sewers.
- May verify levels of rock or gravel base, and tile drainpipe, using surveyor’s or carpenter’s level.
- Performs repair work for septic systems as directed.
- Performs laborer type work, which may include:
- Hauling supplies to and from work sites.
- Using tools such as hammers, saws, etc.
- Digs graves for funerals as directed. May assist with the closing of the grave site.
- Appropriate work attire is required.
- Must attend all mandatory department trainings.
- Ensures confidentiality of financial records and all records for employees, band members and/or clients.
- Displays a responsive and professional manner in promptly responding to all requests, complaints, and problems.
- Recognizes that each employee is a representative of the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and is responsible for demonstrating courtesy, respect, and sensitivity to the needs of all others, including visitors and co-workers.
- Represents the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and the department in a positive and professional manner in the community.
- Required to maintain proper attendance including reporting to work on time in accordance with applicable policies.
- Maintains a clean and organized work area.
- Due to changes and modifications in the job from time to time, employees are required to be flexible and assume other responsibilities assigned by management as deemed necessary.
- Climbing, lifting, bending, getting on and off machinery, and walking are required.
- Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, including work in adverse weather conditions.
- Experience in the operation of heavy equipment is required.
- If applicant does not possess a Class B Driver’s License at the time of hire, they must receive a Class B Drivers License Permit within 90-days of hire and upon receiving a Class B Drivers License Permit must receive the Class B Driver’s License within 90-days. Employment is contingent upon this requirement and must be kept for the duration of employment.
- Certificate of physical examination required and must be in the possession of the operator while operating vehicles.
- Skill in minor maintenance of heavy equipment is required.
- Skill in reading maps and project plans is required.
- Basic knowledge of surveying and grading equipment (lasers, rules, hand levels, hand tools, etc.) is required.
- Ability to understand and accept written and oral instruction is required.
- Ability to work well with co-workers and the public is required.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing is required.
- Ability to work independently and establish priorities is required.
- Attention to detail and accuracy is required.
- Ability to establish professional and harmonious working relationships on all projects and with all parties involved.
- Subject to drug and alcohol testing in accordance with the Fond du Lac Reservation’s Personnel Policies.
- Subject to pre-employment and annual background checks.
- Subject to immunization review and submitted proof of required vaccinations.
- Travel is required.
NATIVE AMERICAN PREFERENCE
PLEASE INCLUDE WITH APPLICATION YOUR CREDENTIALS AND RESUME
APPLY TO: Fond du Lac Human Resources
1720 Big Lake Road
Cloquet, MN 55720