|Title:||Operator/Laborer, Full Time|
|Location:||FDL Public Works|
|Supervisor:||Highway Department Manager|
|Closing Date:||June 27, 2022|
|Rate of Pay:||$17.00 per hour|
Under the direction of the Highway Department Manager, performs a variety of duties to ensure project work is completed accurately and efficiently.
- Transports equipment to assigned work sites.
- Operates heavy equipment (loaders, dozers, excavators, motor graders, etc.). Loads and unloads equipment using sound judgment in securing equipment.
- Performs all cuts and fills pertaining to the job.
- Performs all normal maintenance on equipment.
- Keeps equipment clean and operable.
- Performs road repairs such as black top sealer duties, which may include:
- Operate tamping machines or manually roll surfaces to compact earth fills, foundation forms, and finished road materials, according to grade specifications.
- Place strips of material such as asphalt, or place rolls of expansion-joint material on machines that automatically insert material.
- Set up and tear down equipment.
- Set up traffic control – signs, cones, etc.
- Operate machines to spread, smooth, level asphalt on roadbeds.
- Cut or break up pavement and drive guardrail posts.
- Inspect, clean, maintain, and repair equipment as needed. Reports any repairs needed to supervisor or repair shop.
- Set up forms and lay out guidelines for curbs, according to written specifications, using string, spray paint, and concrete/water mixes.
- Fill tanks, hoppers or machines with sealing paving materials.
- Install dies, cutters, and wire wheels to prep cracks in pavement.
- Light burners or start heating units of machines, and regulate temperatures and asphalt flow rates.
- Observe distribution of sealing material in order to adjust machine settings or material flow, adjust light spots as needed.
- Operate machines that clean or cut expansion joints in asphalt and that rout out cracks in pavement.
- Operating machine for painting and stripping parking spaces.
- Shovel blacktop as needed.
- Work with hand tools rakes, shovels, tape measure, hammer, brooms, squeegee, all other work related hand tools powered and non-powered, etc.
- Clean up work site.
- Performs snow removal duties as directed.
- Installs septic systems, which may include but not limited to:
- Operates back-hoe to dig trenches for installation of septic tanks and drain lines for sewage disposal system.
- Reads blueprints to determine location of septic tank and drainpipes.
- Operates back-hoe to dig and refill trenches for septic tanks and tile drainpipes, transfer crushed rock or gravel to provide drainage base for pipes.
- Lowers septic tank into excavation.
- Directs workers engaged in spreading crushed rock and gravel, in laying tile drainpipe, and in connecting drainpipes to branch sewers.
- May verify levels of rock or gravel base, and tile drainpipe, using surveyor’s or carpenter’s level.
- Performs repair work for septic systems as directed.
- Performs laborer type work, which may include:
- Hauling supplies to and from work sites.
- Using tools such as hammers, saws, etc.
- Digs graves for funerals as directed. May assist with the closing of the grave site.
- Appropriate work attire is required.
- Must attend all mandatory department trainings.
- Ensures confidentiality of financial records and all records for employees, band members and/or clients.
- Displays a responsive and professional manner in promptly responding to all requests, complaints, and problems.
- Recognizes that each employee is a representative of the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and is responsible for demonstrating courtesy, respect, and sensitivity to the needs of all others, including visitors and co-workers.
- Represents the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and the department in a positive and professional manner in the community.
- Required to maintain proper attendance including reporting to work on time in accordance with applicable policies.
- Maintains a clean and organized work area.
- Due to changes and modifications in the job from time to time, employees are required to be flexible and assume other responsibilities assigned by management as deemed necessary.
- Climbing, lifting, bending, getting on and off machinery, and walking are required.
- Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, including work in adverse weather conditions.
- Experience in the operation of heavy equipment is required.
- Class A or B Driver’s License is required and must be insurable under Fond du Lac’s insurance requirements.
- If applicant does not possess a Class B Driver’s License at the time of hire, they must receive a Class B Drivers License permit within 90-days of hire, and upon receiving a Class B Drivers License Permit must receive the Class B Driver’s License within 90-days. Employment is contingent upon this requirement and must be kept for the duration of employment.
- Certificate of physical examination required and must be in the possession of the operator while operating vehicles.
- Skill in minor maintenance of heavy equipment is required.
- Skill in reading maps and project plans is required.
- Basic knowledge of surveying and grading equipment (lasers, rules, hand levels, hand tools, etc.) is required.
- Ability to understand and accept written and oral instruction is required.
- Ability to work well with co-workers and the public is required.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing is required.
- Ability to work independently and establish priorities is required.
- Attention to detail and accuracy is required.
- Ability to establish professional and harmonious working relationships on all projects and with all parties involved.
- Subject to drug and alcohol testing in accordance with the Fond du Lac Reservation’s Personnel Policies.
- Subject to pre-employment and annual background checks.
- Subject to immunization review and submitted proof of required vaccinations.
- Travel is required.
The full time position is eligible for our comprehensive benefit plan, which includes medical, dental, retirement, optional life insurance, optional disability coverage and more. For detailed information please click here.
NATIVE AMERICAN PREFERENCE
PLEASE INCLUDE WITH APPLICATION YOUR CREDENTIALS AND RESUME
APPLY TO: Fond du Lac Human Resources
1720 Big Lake Road
Cloquet, MN 55720