|Title:||Assistant Clerk of Court, Full Time|
|Location:||FDL Tribal Court|
|Supervisor:||Clerk of Court/Judicial Assistant|
|Closing Date:||February 19, 2019|
Implements the plans for and assists the Clerk of Court/Judicial Assistant with the daily operations of the Fond du Lac Tribal Court and all Court programs.
- Performs the duties of court clerk as set out in tribal ordinances including; initiation, maintenance and enforcement of court procedures using established policies and practices.
- Calls cases when court is in session; swears in witnesses, records and maintains custody of court minutes in required systems.
- Maintains details court calendars; maintain court files; assures proper recording of court proceedings; and maintains custody of exhibits.
- Responsible for the efficient operation of the Court.
- Uses of various types of electronic data, word processing, and information processing technology to obtain, originate, verify or modify information in areas such as case management, document review, and maintenance of court or administrative records.
- Examines court documents to ensure their accuracy, completeness and legal sufficiency.
- Contacts attorneys or parties to the case if submitted documents do not comply with statues or procedures.
- Prepares court forms to be submitted to the Judge for signatures.
- Communicates with outside agencies including police, attorneys and parties to coordinate the court’s activities in cases.
- Assists attorneys and parties to the case in moving cases on the calendar by accepting affidavits, notices of appearance, written consents of guilty pleas, motion papers or other documents, or otherwise by having all parties ready for the trial or conference.
- Interprets orders, decisions, judgments, pleading and motions to determine the directives of judges and the relief sought by attorneys and parties to the case.
- Gathers and maintains case documents to ensure permanent recordkeeping; complies statistical information as required.
- Identifies problems and makes recommendations for procedural or administrative improvements to all court services.
- Researches, develops, and manages various projects as required by the Chief Judge and the Clerk of Court/Judicial Assistant.
- Services as Judicial Assistant to the Chief Judge for the Tribal Court and serves as staff for special courts as they are developed, such as juvenile court and wellness court.
- Plans and conducts studies, prepares comprehensive written and oral reports as directed by the Chief Judge and the Clerk of Court/Judicial Assistant.
- Provides day-to-day oversight and operations of the statutory functions of the Tribal Court and all Court programs, under the supervision of the Chief Judge and the Clerk of Court/Judicial Assistant.
- Assists with managing the court calendar for the Tribal Court and all Court programs.
- Analyzes and evaluates pending caseload and develops effective solutions for calendaring.
- Assists with implementing an advanced docket system assuring proper docketing, notification and collection of fines and fees for all cases.
- Assists with managing uniform recordkeeping systems for the Tribal Court and all Court programs; complies and releases data on Court activities and internal functioning.
- Assists with maintenance of management information systems.
- Performs a variety of other duties as assigned by the Chief Judge and the Clerk of Court/Judicial Assistant.
- Required to comply with all personnel policies of the Reservation Business Committee.
- Appropriate work attire is required.
- Must attend all mandatory department trainings.
- Ensures confidentiality of financial records and all records for compliance.
- Displays a responsive and professional manner in promptly responding to all requests, complaints, and problems.
- Recognizes that each employee is a representative of the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and is responsible for demonstrating courtesy, respect, and sensitivity to the needs of all others, including visitors and co-workers.
- Represents the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and the department in a positive and professional manner in the community.
- Required to maintain proper attendance including reporting to work on time in accordance with applicable policies.
- Maintains a clean and organized work area.
- Due to changes and modifications in the job from time to time, employees are required to be flexible and assume other responsibilities assigned by management as deemed necessary.
- Continually requires the ability to express or receive detailed information or important instructions through oral communications.
- Continually requires working with fingers rather than the whole hand or arm.
- Continually requires repetitive movement of the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
- Often requires walking or moving about to accomplish tasks.
- Occasionally requires raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally.
- Occasionally required stopping which entails the use of the lower extremities and back muscles.
- Occasionally requires lifting up to 20 pounds.
- The worker is frequently subject to inside environmental conditions which provides protection from weather conditions, but not necessarily from temperature changes, and is occasionally subject to outside environmental conditions.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D is required.
- Requires experience in calendaring and court docketing procedures, and interpretation of laws and ordinances in tribal court arena.
- Requires at least three years of administrative support experience involving public contact in a tribal government environment.
- Required ability to understand and interpret with great attention to detail, written material including law, rules and regulations, and apply this material in the review of court forms and documents.
- Required knowledge of court procedures including service of papers, hearing procedures, handling judgments, writs of execution, and guilty pleas.
- Requires the ability to effectively represent the court in answering questions, responding to inquires, providing assistance, and dealing with concerns from the public, community organizations, other staff and other agencies, to establish and maintain cooperative working relationship, and to meet deadlines.
- Requires the ability to work independently in the absence of supervision using broad authority and responsibility to manage organization services.
- Requires the ability to analyze situations and adopt effective course of action.
- Requires the ability to make decision, under direction of the Chief Judge, using authority and responsibility to manage organizational services in Tribal Court.
- Requires ability to work with highly sensitive court policy determinations and have critical impact or consequences and the ability to maintain the confidentiality of information that may be contained in court files or obtained in the course of the job duties.
- Requires the ability to use tact and be adept to dealing with a wide variety of people.
- Candidates for this position are subject to criminal, credit, character background checks and fingerprinting.
- Local travel is occasionally required. Travel outside of the state is infrequently required.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing is required.
- Ability to work independently and establish priorities is required.
- Attention to detail and accuracy is required.
- Ability to establish professional and harmonious working relationships on all projects and with all parties involved.
- Subject to drug and alcohol testing in accordance with the Fond du Lac Reservation’s Personnel Policies.
- Subject to pre-employment and annual background checks.
- Some travel may be required.
NATIVE AMERICAN PREFERENCE
PLEASE INCLUDE WITH APPLICATION YOUR CREDENTIALS AND RESUME
APPLY TO: Fond du Lac Human Resources
1720 Big Lake Road
Cloquet, MN 55720